Pagina 1 van 2 1 2 LaatsteLaatste
Weergegeven resultaten: 1 t/m 10 van 13

Discussie: Halifax DT647 MP-P

kevin E Guest

Question Halifax DT647 MP-P

Hello. I am trying to research the fate of Halifax DT 647 which was lost off the coast of the Netherlands on 17 January 1943, with the loss of all crew. I have seen reposts of wreckage from a Halifax being found on the island of Vlieland; can anyone add to this? Does anyone have a copy of the photos?

I am researching the story of Peter Green, RAFVR, who was a crew member, his Norwegian pilot was Bjorn Naess. I believe the Halifax was shot down by Oblt. Zorner flying an ME110 nightfighter.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
    Kevin

Standaard

Found the following information on this website http://www.rafandluftwaffe.info/lists/raf1b.htm . Perhaps you are already aware of it.

17th Jan 1943 HALIFAX II Bom. Opr. GERMAN A/C 76 SQN Kapt. Bjørn Håkon Næss (+) BE-NE-LX Aircraft had the city Berlin as target this night. No british information was given after the NACHTJAGDGRUPPE I./NJG 3 - Me 110 - Kommandeur Major E. z Lippe-Weissenfeld
    FTR DT 647 MP-P 16:22 - unk NJG 3 Linton-on-Ouse with/ Lt. Bjarne Indseth (+) Cra/s probably off Dutch start and from then on the aircraft disappeard without trace. However a German report Lt. Paul Zorner - 2./NJG3 - Halifax - 21:55 - NW island Juist - (1.)
    with/ (Sgt Lamb) (+) coast shows that DT647 was in combat with Lt Zorner and brought down into the water.
    with/ (Sgt Moody) (+)
    with/ (Sgt Stinton) (+)
    with/ (Sgt Saunders) (+)
    with/ (Sgt Green) (+)

kevin E Guest

Standaard

Jan, thanks. Yes I have seen this but was hoping I could associate the lost Halifax with wreckage apparently found on Vlieland. Some photos are reported to exist of the wreckage and indicate a date of 18 January 1943. 3 Halifaxes were lost that night but the other two fell near Hamburg and in Denmark so I was hoping that someone might have shown this was DT 647.
    Kevin

Standaard

Hallo Kevin

Misschien heb je iets aan deze site: Home - Wadden in de oorlog

vriendelijke groet Peter

Standaard

Hi Kevin,

There was a crew of only 5 man onboard, was there any reason why there were so few onboard?

Regards,

Mathieu.
    Als het regent in mei is april voorbij.

kevin E Guest

Standaard

Peter, thank you. what an interesting site!
    Kevin E

kevin E Guest

Standaard

Mathieu, there was a full crew of 7 on the aircraft. There were two Norwegians (the pilot, Bjorn Naess and Bjarne Indseth) and 5 men from the RAFVR, namely Sergeants Lamb, Stinton, Saunders, Moody and Green. All were killed and I am not aware of any bodies being recovered.
    Kevin E

Standaard

Hello Kevin

Do you know if the plane was salvaged bij Germans Bergge Truppe?

greetings Peter

kevin E Guest

Standaard

Peter, hello. As far as (or anyone else I think) knows, this Halifax was lost over the sea without trace which is why the crew have no known grave. I did however see a report which suggested that the remains of a Halifax bomber had been found on a beach on Vlieland the next day which led to this thread. Thanks to others on the forum, it looks like this was a false lead. Thanks anyway,

Kevin

Standaard

Hello Kevin E.

The only plane registered on the "Verlieslijst 1943 versie 05, 15-01-2013" to came down on the 17th Jan. 1943 10 kilometer west of Vlieland is Lancaster Mk 1 "W4772" from 1654 CU.

http://www.studiegroepluchtoorlog.nl...2013-01-15.pdf

Regards,
    Ruud.

Regels voor berichten