Pagina 1 van 2 1 2 LaatsteLaatste
Weergegeven resultaten: 1 t/m 10 van 14

Discussie: Denemarken Fokker D.XXI project.

Standaard Denemarken Fokker D.XXI project.

Hi,

Some days ago I sent a message to Orla Kragh Jensen, the man behind the Fokker D.XXI project in Denmark. he gave me so much infoprmation together with photos that I deceided to make a seperat thread about this project, even it is not a project in the Netherlands I place it under this part of the forum. If you want to reply, please do it in English so Orla and other Danish can read it aswell. I am very impressed with the progress so far and hope it will be finished in a few years!

Mathieu.

In February 2013, I was granted a homebuilder’s permission to build a Fokker D.XXI replica by the Danish Ministry of Transport, governed by the KZ&V (Veteranflyver Klubben, EAA Chapter 665). The permission is to g build a flyable Fokker D.XXI replica based on original drawings and information.

For the last approx. 30 years or so, I have had an interest I the Danish Army and Navy air forces prior to WW2 with a preference for the Army, “Hærens Flyvertropper”, and their widely use of Fokker aircraft. Initially I was planning for the Danish designed O-Machine, a design build on experience from the Fokker C1 recon plane but ended up with a huge number of pictures and documentations and a pile of drawings of the Fokker D.XXI making it the plane to build.

In my research, I have had the pleasure of visiting the museum in Soesterberg (The old one) on a Monday, having the Fokker D.XXI replica all for my selves and a friend (photographer) for a full day without limitations. The Dutch replica was measured, photographed, documented all over to support my project.
    Naam: image027.jpg
Bekeken: 3647
Grootte: 5,3 KB
    I also had the pleasure of being able to do the same thing with the semi original Fokker D.XXI, FR-110, in the museum at Jyvaskyla in central Finland, where I also had a day to investigate a more original version of the Fokker.

Naam: image025.png
Bekeken: 5173
Grootte: 435,2 KB
    With the two research tours, several afternoons at the Danish National Archive, and I found my selves ready to file an application to build a homebuilt plane under the EAA homebuilder and national government approval.

I filed the application documented with an almost complete set of drawings, especially to support the fuselage steel structure as it had to be designed following modern rules for steel frames in airplanes. The rules are very well documented in the book “Construction of Tubular Steel Fuselages” published by the Aircraft Technical Book Company.
    Well, I filed the application, it took a while to be approved as it was not the average homebuilders project, but I got my permission in February 2013.

Now, with the paperwork in place, the practical work could be started. Practical work meant that I had to use 14 days of my vacation to attend a TIC Welding school ad passing the exam to be allowed to weld my own plane. I did that, and went out looking for a suitable location for the building project. I found a location close to home and rented 1/3 of approx. 190 square meters in a work shop. Early 2015 I moved in and planned the project start. I needed quite a lot of tools and equipment and in April I received the first of many shipments of 4130 steel tubing from Aircraft Spruce in Germany. In May 2015, I started the welding the first main section of the fuselage, the cockpit section. The second main section was the tail fin and rudder post with the third main section being the rudder. In the autumn, I received a big load of steel tubes and took a week off from work to build the “Jig” for the complete fuselage, preparing the tubes by cutting, shaping them to fit the design. Within that week, I had the complete fuselage welded together and pre-painted to protect the metal.
    Naam: Fuselage without engine bracket kl.jpg
Bekeken: 4517
Grootte: 270,8 KB

During the spring og 2016, I have added details, flanges etc. to the fuselage frame and started on the rear wing arrangement and the elevator. I also added the last of the internal structure in the fore end of the fuselage.
    Naam: Fuselage with rear wing kl.jpg
Bekeken: 3591
Grootte: 243,0 KB

Naam: Elevator basic structure mounted on fuselage kl.jpg
Bekeken: 3856
Grootte: 185,6 KB
    Naam: Rudder applied to fuselage kl.jpg
Bekeken: 4047
Grootte: 253,4 KB

At the moment, I am working on a tailwheel, as the original tailwheel I have in my possession does not lie up to the standard needed. So, I have to build a new one based on the drawings and measurements I have gathered.
    Naam: Tailwheel kl.jpg
Bekeken: 3527
Grootte: 292,2 KB

The rear wing mounting flanges has been added and the basic structure frame for the rear wing has been mounted together with the lover strut support.
    The elevator main tube has been added and mounted on the ball bearings after original specifications.

I waiting for a load of ¼” and 5/16” steel tubes for the profiling of the rear wings and elevator. When they arrive, the work of patience starts as welding the structure together with metal of that size and thickness, 0,71 mm wall thickness, really demands patience when working.

During the winter month, I have planned to start working on the Aluminum parts, the seat, panels etc. as they are riveted together and as it will be too cold for welding in the workshop. Also, the profiling of the fuselage is in the plan as that is mostly “bolt on” flanges to hold the shaped steel tubes and wooden parts.

As you have noticed, I have not been doing much work, Firewall forward, as I have not yet decided what engine to use. The original engine for the Danish built Fokker fighters was the Bristol Mercury VIII rated at 840HP, an engine that is very hard to find and most likely very expensive as it is so rare. I have been looking at the following substitutes: The Shvetsov ASh-62, very powerful rated at 1.000HP and on the heavy site. The Pratt & Whitney R-1340 Wasp rated at 600HP but almost the correct weight. The Wright R-1820 with a verity of HP output and a little to heavy. The Alvis Leonides 503 rated at 550HP is very small but with a suitable weight. All other alternatives seem too rare, too light or too underpowered and one thing that has to be considered is the center of gravity.

Until now I have only been doing research, construction and drawings for the main wing. I was involved with the ”reverse engineering” of the Fokker wing headed by Frank van Dalen and Theo van Wierst from Fokker Technologies for the PH-XXI, Jack van Egmont’s Fokker D.XXI. There was a lot of missing information on the main wing, as the Fokker drawings did not “fit” the specification for the Clack-Y or Clark-YH airfoil. The ”reverse engineering” project shoved that Fokker actually did construct a specific airfoil for the D.XXI fighter.

The main wing is a wooden wonder, stretching 15 meters from end to end and constructed around two box spars. For my wing, I have to have it stress tested before any approval for flying can be granted.

Overview over the main sections that I have been working on.
    Naam: image007.png
Bekeken: 3691
Grootte: 255,7 KB
    Naam: image008.png
Bekeken: 4235
Grootte: 401,0 KB
    Naam: image009.png
Bekeken: 3672
Grootte: 392,0 KB

As last a photo of the genuine, under licence built, fuselage of the J-49.
    Naam: Billede 3 (1) kl.jpg
Bekeken: 3581
Grootte: 170,3 KB
    Laatst gewijzigd door Mathieu; 8 november 2016 om 20:10

Weblogartikelen

Standaard

Wonderful, just wonderful! I remember three years ago almost nobody believed there would be a flying D.21 again, but now we're getting two! We're spoiled!

It's a very neat job, Orla! I've seen some of Frank and Theo's work regarding the wing and indeed, the D.21 does not have a Clark airfoil but some custom one, undefined.

Thanks Mathieu for sharing!

All good luck with building, Orla!

Daan Kaasjager

Standaard

Amazing to read all this and good that your attention has been drawn to a flying legend, at least in Holland .
    In Nederland we have very few pre-war rebuilds. One of them the Lambach-HLII will probably never fly again, due to certification problems.
    You obtained a homebuilder’s permission, but I suppose that in Danmark you will also need control and supervision by a governmental office?
    All the luck with your project!

Adri

Off-topic: I rebuild a wooden Ka-6 glider, but the supervision and certification is not comparable with a motorplane (much easier).

Very off-topic: I was involved in the design and construction of the "Svanen", the heavy lift vessel, that took part in the modular construction of the Storebælt-and Øresundbridge. The Svanen is a giant spaceframe, but the strengh calculations wil in principle be the same as with the fuselage of your D-XXI.
    My time in Nyborg and Malmö and the contacts and discussions with the Scandinavian colleagues were very enjoyable.

Standaard

Citaat Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door Breeze Bekijk bericht

Very off-topic: I was involved in the design and construction of the "Svanen", the heavy lift vessel,
    Very off-topic aswell, I was chief engineer for 2 years on this vessel!
    Als het regent in mei is april voorbij.

Standaard

Dear Orla,

Nice to see the progress on this build. I wish you all the luck with it.
    I’m particularly interested in what engine choice you finally will make. Certainly the reasons for choosing an particular engine and what for consequences this will have.
    Hope to hear more from you in the future. We here in The Netherlands are certainly interested.

Best regard,
    Boris
    Laatst gewijzigd door Boris; 8 november 2016 om 23:41

Standaard

Mr Orla,

Stunning project! Do you have any idea when you should be flying your D.XXI?

Chris

Standaard

Amazing indeed, never knew this project was underway. Fantastic proof that projects like these can be done by private individuals.

Standaard

Dear Mr Orla, we are indeed really spoiled, that there are two flying Fokker D21 projects build at this moment.
    Has there been any progress on the construction of the Danish D21.

Mathieu a big thank you for sharing this project with us.

Dennis,

Standaard

Wouw love the fokker D21

Standaard

eigenlijk best wel grappig at in nederland de eis is dat het toestel volledig volgend de oorspronkelijke tekeningen gebouwd dient te worden
    om te mogen vliegen

en in een ander land moet het juist gemoderniceerd worden

Regels voor berichten