Weergegeven resultaten: 1 t/m 6 van 6

Discussie: The MLD In 2022

Standaard The MLD In 2022

Hi All...

I'm currently in the very final stages of updating my manuscript detailing the role of the MLD in 1941-1942 (The Dutch Naval Air Force Against Japan: The Defense of the Netherlands East Indies, 1941-1942). It has been 16 years since my book was first published, and the MLD has undergone organizational changes in that time. I'm hoping to update the current state of the MLD in the 2020s with a final paragraph or two.

As I understand it, the MLD has been folded into a new organization (the Defense Helicopter Command) since around 2008 or so. The DHC is neither an Army or Navy command, but rather a stand-alone formation(?). Does this mean that the MLD as such has disappeared? Is it still referred to as the MLD...either formally or informally? Or, does the MLD still exist, just in a new suit of armor, so to speak. Any kind of brief explanation that you might can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    Tom Womack

Standaard

MLD does not exist anymore.
    The airbase Valkenburg was closed in 2005 and the Orion planes were sold to Germany.
    In 2008 the maritime helicopters became part of DHC (Defensie Helikopter commando, Defense Helicopter Command) which is part of the Royal Dutch Airforce (Koninklijke Luchtmacht), not Navy or Army.
    The main airbase of DHC is Gilze-Rijen, but the NH90 helicopters are located at airbase De Kooy near Den helder, which is the main Navy base.
    So the NH90's serve the Navy but are part of the Airforce.

https://www.defensie.nl/organisatie/...opter-commando
    Laatst gewijzigd door Dagger; 28 januari 2022 om 13:53

Standaard

Also Soesterberg airfield closed down in 2008. Its Chinook and Cougar transport helicopters moving to Gilze Rijen (with Apaches already stationed there creating a main airbase).

Standaard

Yes, but those were not in use by the MLD.
    Citaat Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door Dagger Bekijk bericht
    ........ Royal Dutch Airforce (Koninklijke Luchtmacht) ..........
    I meant to say: Royal Netherlands Air Force, RNLAF (Koninklijke Luchtmacht, KLu)

Standaard

Good day Tom, i actually browsed your book just a few days ago!
    Althought the MLD does not exist anymore, personnel strictly uses the name MLD as organisation. Using the word airforce or DHC is out of the question :-)
    Regards,
    Edwin

Standaard

Hi All...

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been a bit preoccupied trying to finish up the maps for my new book. And of course, my girlfriend demands that I spend time with her when she comes to visit...LOL.

Thanks for the great info on the present-days status of the MLD. To essentially be disbanded and incorporated into the air force seems like a rather inglorious end for such a distinguished organization. It can't have been a popular decision amongst the MLD veterans.

Regards...
    Tom

Regels voor berichten