Weergegeven resultaten: 1 t/m 6 van 6

Discussie: Book Reviews / The Dutch Naval Air Force Against Japan (2nd Edition)

Standaard Book Reviews / The Dutch Naval Air Force Against Japan (2nd Edition)

The first reviews of my new book, The Dutch Naval Air Force Against Japan: The Defense of the Netherlands East Indies, 1941-1942 (2nd Edition) are starting to filter in. I'm quite pleased with the feedback to date.

Editorial Reviews
    Review

“Vivid detail…Womack’s volume serves as fine companion piece to that of Dutch military historian Peter Boer, whose recently (2016) published account of the Dutch Army Air Force (KNIL-ML) side of the aerial campaign over the Indies provides similar detail on the progress of the Japanese advance through the Indies and the operations and fate of each of the ML’s aircraft. …the author is to be congratulated on a superb account that fills a gap in our understanding of the defense of the Netherlands Indies as experienced by the Dutch forces.”

William H. Bartsch,
    Author of Every Day a Nightmare: American Pursuit Pilots in the Defense of Java, 1941-1942

“Eighty-some years after the fact, we are still learning about the Second World War, in all its global aspects. One neglected area, handsomely remedied in English by this book, is the role to the Netherlands East Indies Naval Air Service during the Japanese onslaught into the area we now call Indonesia. This book is doubtless the ultimate study on the subject, at least in English. … Womack's second edition nearly doubles the page count of his earlier 2006 book. It profits by new information and interviews, and the addition of background on MLD (Naval Air Service) operations. …the author provides unexpected historical pearls…strongly recommended…a solid addition to your history library”

Jim Maas,
    Author of F2A Buffalo in Action - Aircraft No. 81

“This excellent book provides the most complete account of the Royal Dutch Navy's battle against the Imperial Japanese forces in World War II in the Dutch East Indies. In addition to the in-depth historical research, the book is very well and extensively documented. The book is pleasant to read and beautifully designed. The stories about the crews struggle against an overwhelming enemy are fascinating. Special is the story of the last flight of flying boat X-29 and its crew. Their mission ended so tragically when port was in sight. Recommended in particular to dutch readers.”

Michael Klaversteijn,
    Retired Captain, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
    Uncle was pilot of X-29 when lost

“A great book that vastly improves the little understood war actions against the Japanese at the beginning of WW2 by the Dutch and their allies. Thank you for publishing this second edition. Great job!”

Bob Bergstrom,
    His father, Captain Edward W. Bergstrom, served with Patrol Wing 10 in the Philippines and Netherlands East Indies campaigns

Standaard

Must give you a lot of satisfaction!
    Als het regent in mei is april voorbij.

Standaard

Indeed, it does! I tried to address as many as possible of the complaints, requests and errors that I received on my 1st Edition throughout the years. But most of all, my goal in writing this book (all my books) is that I really wanted to "get it right." If someone undertakes a historical project of this scope and magnitude they have an obligation to all those veterans -- living and deceased -- to to be fair, accurate and balanced. Anything else is a disservice to those served. I like to think of positive reviews as confirmation that I achieved my goal.

Standaard

Still waiting for delivery. Bought and paid for but temporarily out of stock with Amazon. Merry Christmas.

Greetings,
    Ruud van Ommeren.

Standaard

Finally delivered. It was a long wait. Now the fun begins.

Cheers and best wishes for 2024,
    Ruud van Ommeren.
    Laatst gewijzigd door ruudvanom; 4 januari 2024 om 15:54

Standaard

Citaat Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door ruudvanom Bekijk bericht
    Finally delivered. It was a long wait. Now the fun begins.

Cheers and best wishes for 2024,
    Ruud van Ommeren.

"Temporarily out of stock..." Bad for you, but good for me! I'm glad to hear that it finally arrived. Hopefully, you find it worth the investment. I look forward to reading your thoughts if / when you get a chance to post them.

Regels voor berichten