Pagina 1 van 3 1 2 3 LaatsteLaatste
Weergegeven resultaten: 1 t/m 10 van 22

Discussie: DC-3 Bomber by Fokker

circle-5 Guest

Standaard DC-3 Bomber by Fokker

This 1/20 scale trade-show model was a proposal by Fokker, dated about 1935. Fokker was the exclusive European importer for Douglas Aircraft at the time, and this conversion was to make bombers out of existing commercial DC-3 airliners.

In addition to bomb bay doors behind the wing box, the DC-3 bomber featured a couple of machine gun turrets on the roof and a bombardier/gunner blister under the cockpit. DC-3 passenger windows were not covered up, so I assume these aircraft could be un-converted and returned to commercial service, at the end of the conflict.

The model is all-metal, with retractable gear, and features the signature plate of J. van Pelt, model maker for Anthony Fokker.

Any references or documentation about this Fokker project would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Laatst gewijzigd door Arjan; 3 oktober 2009 om 19:28

Weblogartikelen

Standaard

Nederlandse vertaling:

Dit 1/20 model voor luchtvaartshows was een voorstel van Fokker van ongeveer 1935.
    Fokker was destijds de exclusieve importeur van Douglas vliegtuigen voor Europa, en deze conversie was bedoeld om bommenwerpers te bouwen van standaard lijnvliegtuigen.

Naast een bommenruim achter de vleugels had het enkele geschutskoepels en een ruimte voor de bommenrichter onder de neus.
    De ruiten van de passagierstoestellen waren niet bedekt, dus neem ik aan dat de toestellen weer voor commerciele doeleinden gebruikt zouden gaan worden na de oorlog.

Het model is van metaal, met een intrekbaar landingsgestel en een merkplaatje van J. van Pelt, modelbouwer voor Fokker.

Inlichtingen en documentatie over dit project zijn van harte welkom.

Standaard

Hei,

That is an insteresting model! Never read anything about such DC 3.
    I'll ask Willem Vredeling if he knows more.

Regards,

Mathieu.

Standaard

He i,

This evening I talked with Willem Vredeling about this model.
    He told me that Switserland ask Fokker if the could convert a DC2 or DC3 into a bomber, also Sweden showed interest. He also told me that the bombs had to be stored vertical.

Vanavond met Willem Vredeling gesproken over dit model. Hij wist te vertellen dat Zwitserland Fokker had gevraagd of het mogelijk was een DC2 of DC3 om te bouwen tot bommenwerper, ook Zweden toonde belangstelling voor zo'n omgebouwde DC. Verder wist hij te vertellen dat de bommen verticaal in het bommenruim hingen.

Groet,

Mathieu.

circle-5 Guest

Standaard

Thank you Mathieu for this information. I did not know that Switzerland was ever interested in bombers. May I ask who is Willem Vredeling and what does he do?

I also want to add that this model came from the old Fokker main assembly plant at Schiphol when it closed in 1996. It had been in storage there for decades and was rescued from a trash container by Fokker personnel. It was later repaired and repainted.

Standaard

This is a converted DC-2 by the looks of it... An early study, it resembles the B-18 Bolo a bit, but that is not really that strange i think.

Fokker also made conversions for the F-22 and F-36 passengerplanes. including a glazed over nose, midupper gun turret and other bomber adaptions. The Fokker Heritage Trust keeps some mighty interesting drawings of these adaptions.

Willem Vredeling, by the way, is a "Fokkeriaan in hart en nieren", a former Fokker employee who still is very active with the Fokker heritage. He started collecting Fokker documentation in the sixties, and because of him, we now have a large Fokker documentation in the archives of the Aviodrome.

Standaard

Hei Circle-5,

I found a few drawings from Fokker concern the conversation of DC 2s and DC 3s into bombers. The first drawing is of your model, the bombs were stored horizontal, the other 2 drawings are of a DC 2 conversation. You can see that Fokker studied several ways to carry a bomb-load, internal or external.

Some data about the proposed bomber like your model:
    Engines: Wright Cyclone SGR 1820 F53
    Max speed: 325 KM/H at 3350 m.
    Range: 2220 km by 271 KM/H at 3350 m.

Best regards,

Mathieu.

circle-5 Guest

Standaard

Hi Mathieu,

I am amazed that you found these drawings. This is exactly what I was hoping for! Now we know these were serious proposals, with bombs stored horizontally, and two gun positions in the DC-3 gondola. This is fantastic!

I cannot thank you enough!

John (circle-5)

Standaard

Hei john,

I have another drawing from Fokker of a military DC 2/3, it shows several configurations of how the military DC could be used. These were:
    1, transport of aeroengines there could be 4 engines in the fuselage.
    2, troop transport, the capacity was 27 completely equipped man and a range of 850 km or 38 man without equipment.
    3, transport of wounded people, max 16 people could be carried.
    4, fuel transport, with special tanks in the fuselage 3500 liter could be transported.

As we can see a DC with floaters, I assume that this was a proposel to Sweden. I also have seen a list of instruments to be used in this aircraft, if you are interested I can scan the list and post here.

Best regards,

Mathieu.

circle-5 Guest

Standaard

Thank you Mathieu,

This is another great drawing you found there! In fact, the Bombenwerfer variant shows exactly my model, with glazed MG turrets -- does it say 2200 rounds? Is that for each gun or total?

And yes, if you don't mind, I would love to see more information, including the instrumentation. Do any of these documents have legible dates on them?

Thanks again for all your help, which is truly appreciated.

John